How to Have a Boo-tiful Halloween Wedding
If you and your partner love Halloween, then having a Halloween-themed wedding ceremony and reception will make your special day an unforgettable one—but keeping things tasteful can be a little tricky. It’s easy to get carried away with themed décor and obvious color choices, but too much of both can make things a little scary. To avoid giving your guests a fright, the wedding experts at Long Island’s Crest Hollow Country Club have come up with five tips to ensure your Halloween wedding ceremony and reception will be a total treat for everyone—no tricks here.
- Pick chic pumpkins. Using pumpkins is a stylish décor choice for fall weddings in general, but they are perfect for Halloween weddings. To ensure they are trendy and not tacky, use white pumpkins rather than orange. For an outdoor ceremony, line the aisle for a romantic touch. For a more rustic take, use odd-shaped, -colored and -textured gourds instead.
- Keep orange and black to a minimum. It’s a no brainer that a Halloween wedding will incorporate these colors, but the secret to not having a cheesy wedding is to choose only one. For a black-tie venue, pairing black with white or autumnal colors such as yellows and reds will give your wedding a refined and glamorous vibe. Prefer to use orange? Consider using deep shades of the color, and complement it with copper and bronze. Whichever you choose, give your wedding a “spooktacular” touch by finding a venue that offers customized LED lighting, which can change the ambiance of any reception.
- Stick to two themed décor items. It’s easy to go overboard with a themed wedding, especially when considering accents and favors. Remember, you want guests to feel like they’ve walked into a venue that complements you and your partner, not a haunted house. For example, if you pick pumpkins in your décor, choose only one other Halloween-themed item, whether it’s skull candleholders, spider napkin rings or mini Manzanita trees as centerpieces.
- Incorporate subtle touches. From flowers to food choices, there are ways to broadcast a Halloween vibe without being too literal. Flower arrangements with a creepy touch, such as arctic glow globes, sea hollies, dark colored dahlias, onyx odysseys and seed pods, will set your event apart. For an understated centerpiece, include moss balls, vintage books or mini lanterns for a Gothic look. When it comes to the menu, consider incorporating pumpkin and butternut squash dishes.
- Do a festive bar. Since trick-or-treating is expected when it comes to Halloween, have a candy bar with goodie bags at the wedding reception. Treats can be trick-or-treating staples or more color coordinated with your theme colors for a grown-up take.
For more tips on throwing the perfect Halloween wedding ceremony and reception, contact the professional event planners at the Crest Hollow Country Club.