Band or DJ? 5 Ways to Find Your Fit
Planning a wedding means constant picking and choosing. Between flower arrangements, invitations, tablecloths and cake flavors, the number of decisions you have to make can be overwhelming. Having trouble choosing between a band and a DJ? Here are five factors that may influence your decision and help you pick the option that will work best at your wedding reception.
- Find Your Style. First, consider what style of music you want at your reception. Know that bands are limited to how many songs they know how to play and, therefore, limited to certain styles of music. This isn’t a problem if you want to play a specific genre for most of the night, but if you are looking for a more varied selection, you might be better off with a DJ.
- Personality Matters. It’s important to consider whether the entertainer has a good stage presence. If you hire a band or a DJ that lacks personality, they can quickly ruin the mood of the night. When you interview your prospective entertainment, pay attention to how they behave when not performing and ask for a copy of their act at a recent event to ensure they can bring the energy you want to your reception.
- The Flow of the Night. When making your decision, it’s important to keep the flow of the night in mind. While bands will have to take breaks throughout the reception, DJs can often play music nonstop. If you choose a band, work together to coordinate breaks with transitions in the night or plan alternate music for the time in between sets.
- Know Your Crowd. Are your guests the dancing type? If so, you might want to hire a DJ for your reception. DJs tend to create more of a party atmosphere for a whole night of uninterrupted dancing. If you want to give your guests the option to dance or just sit back and enjoy a performance, a band is a great fit.
- Budget. Price is oftentimes the deciding factor when it comes to choosing the musical entertainment for your reception. While DJs are typically the less expensive option; it all comes down to how much you budgeted for this aspect of your reception—or if you’re willing to spend less in another area to have the artist (or artists) of your dreams.
Take these five factors into account when making your final decision between a band and DJ for your reception, and you’ll be sure to choose the right fit for yourself! Now all you need is the setting of your celebration. Contact the wedding experts at the Crest Hollow Country Club, and they’ll help you find the perfect Long Island wedding reception venue for you.